Tuesday, October 25, 2011

1971 Mustang Brake light switch problem, won't come on till I'm stopped.?

I recently change my 71 Mustang from manual brakes to power disc brakes. It was a kit, changed everything brake pedal assebly bracket etc, I even changed the brake light switch which attaches to the pedal assembly that triggers the lights to come on when the pedal is pressed. My problem is when I step on the brakes the switch doesn't get actuated until the pedal is all the way down. This only seems to happen while driving. If I'm parked very little pressure will turn on the switch and the brake lights come on. Why would the switch not work when driving and coming to a stop?
1971 Mustang Brake light switch problem, won't come on till I'm stopped.?
is there a plastic bushing for the brake switch,,remove bushing and try,,if none install one and try
1971 Mustang Brake light switch problem, won't come on till I'm stopped.?
That's a weird problem to have...and it baffles me. I have a 73 Mustang. You might want to check your switch and make sure its not loose and maybe moving when your driving (just a wild guess). Id say it has something to do with the electical part of it, so check that too. You might be able to adjust the brake switch itself for a higher sensitivity, but Im not really for sure since its been a couple years since Ive really messed with mine. Only other thing to do is go back through the directions and MAKE SURE you missed nothing...there could have been something you overlooked.
try a different brand switch, they aren't all created equal...

No comments:

Post a Comment