Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Why does my "brake" light and my "rear abs" light come on after a hard brake on my 1992 Ford Explorer?

Normal operation after start up; all warning lights operable, but off; and normal brake function. But when I press harder than normal on the brakes, the BRAKE light and the REAR ABS light come on, and they stay on until I turn off the car. This will happen even if I'm not traveling. With the car just sitting idling, if I press the brakes too far, the lights come on. Whenever these lights are on the pedal feels a little spongy towards the bottom of travel (but that could be my paranoia) and takes longer to stop. There is NO fluid leakage anywhere, and the MC is full to the perfect level. All brake parts (pads, rotors, drums, shoes, spring kits) are around 1,000 to 1,500 miles old, and I have always changed them myself (for 10 years on this vehicle) and new front hoses were installed 4 years ago. There are no other issues with the brakes other than this. 222,000 miles and counting. Help? Please?
Why does my %26quot;brake%26quot; light and my %26quot;rear abs%26quot; light come on after a hard brake on my 1992 Ford Explorer?
Low brake fluid?
Why does my %26quot;brake%26quot; light and my %26quot;rear abs%26quot; light come on after a hard brake on my 1992 Ford Explorer?
You have a problem somewhere in the rear circuit of your antilock braking system, if that is the error message you are getting. Have it repaired. When you step hard that activates the ABS which is not working correctly, so you get the light.
OK, after crawling through your brake lines...



How about that good old JSOP valve? If there is air in a line the piston inside the JSOP valve will move and make the brake light come on.



Otherwise, the ABS system is probably bad and you get both warning lights.



You can get a fluid leak inside one of the wheel cylinders and the fluid is still trapped behind the rubber boot and not leaking out just yet.



If you have a front brake hose that is swelling shut you'll notice a pull to one side when braking. There is a rubber hose that connects the rear end steel lines to the steel line that runs from the JSOP rearward.



My money is on the leak that hasn't shown itself in a rear wheel cylinder.



Good Luck!
  • good tanning lotion
  • hair spray
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment